My Blog List

Here is a blog where I post links to things I've been reading on the web. From time to time I'll also add comments. And I invite comments from anyone out there. Comment on the readings, comment on the comments, comment on my comments. Fly at it!

Monday, May 05, 2008

The Law is an Ass, Again

Drugs offender keeps £4.5m after 30 barristers refuse to take case - Times Online

In England, a drug dealer found himself unable to afford a lawyer because the Crown had seized the £4.5m he had earned through the sale of drugs. Legal aid barristers refused to act on his behalf because they said the mandatory government fee was too low. The man represented himself in a court hearing set to determine what was to be done with his money. The judge declared the pusher acquitted because he lacked proper legal representation. The money was returned to him. He walked out of the court a free man and a millionaire.

Dickens, in Oliver Twist , has a character declare that the law is an ass if it says that a wife always acts under her husband's direction. The law has found a new way to be assinine.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

No comments: