My Blog List

Here is a blog where I post links to things I've been reading on the web. From time to time I'll also add comments. And I invite comments from anyone out there. Comment on the readings, comment on the comments, comment on my comments. Fly at it!

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Rumpole of the death bed

The Washington Post has a very well written review of Rumpole and the Primrose Path, the latest in John Mortimer's series on the cigar-smoking defender of petty thieves. It would appear that the old gaffer is now in a nursing home, awaiting the grim reaper. It's a daring ploy on the part of the author John Mortimer and a bit of a risk. Sure, we'll all cheer for Rumpole as he battles with yet another form of pompous bureaucracy, but won't some people be turned off at the thought of their own impending death? And will it mark Rumpole of the Bailey as old fart reading only? Perhaps it already is.
What next? Spenser and Hawk clocking villains with their canes? Updike has killed rabbit off. Will Mortimer do the same with Rumpole? Should he?

Technorati Tags: , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For searching blogs I visit your site, because have something of interest.
Cleo