My Blog List

Here is a blog where I post links to things I've been reading on the web. From time to time I'll also add comments. And I invite comments from anyone out there. Comment on the readings, comment on the comments, comment on my comments. Fly at it!

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Frey and Oprah continue their partnership

Author James Frey appeared on Oprah today, supposedly to face the music. His publisher, Nan Talese sat at his side through most of the show. The show was, perhaps, a cathartic experience for Oprah, who proclaimed loudly that she had been mistaken in defending Frey against charges of lying. A chorus of talking heads reminded him that he was a bad boy.
Really, though. It’s all about the Benjamins. Frey and his publisher surely knew that the appearance would drive up sales figures. And Oprah surely knew that this hyped confrontation would lift her ratings. Their hypocritical game of victim and penitent victimizer made them both a bundle.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: