My Blog List

Here is a blog where I post links to things I've been reading on the web. From time to time I'll also add comments. And I invite comments from anyone out there. Comment on the readings, comment on the comments, comment on my comments. Fly at it!

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Censorship or management rights?

The ever excellent Blog of a Bookslut reports on a blogger who was fired by Sur la Table for something he wrote. You can look at his posting here. I'm not sure that there is anything in it that justifies his being fired. You be the judge.
The fact that the firing of a blogger is now the subject of further blogging is, as they say, a sign of the times. It used to be that people had freedom of speech, in theory, but less so in practice. What I mean is that most people can't get their opinions on CNN, or even in the letters to the editor section of a major newspaper, without someone's editorial approval. With blogs, the words go straight out to the world. As has the story of the employer's reaction.
The fired blogger probably feels vulnerable, but now that the story is loose in the blogosphere it's the corporation that could end up feeling the heat. Their customer service page gives contact information.

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments: