My Blog List

Here is a blog where I post links to things I've been reading on the web. From time to time I'll also add comments. And I invite comments from anyone out there. Comment on the readings, comment on the comments, comment on my comments. Fly at it!

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Sometimes We Should Repeat History

The Oxford University Press blog has an interesting article on Roger Williams & Church-State Separation. Williams was the seventeenth century founder of Maryland. He had been ousted from Massachusetts by the Puritans because he advocated religious freedom. They, by contrast, advocated theocracy.
Author Edwin S. Gaustad makes the point that American is experiencing a similar conflict today and argues for the wisdom of Williiams' position.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: