My Blog List

Here is a blog where I post links to things I've been reading on the web. From time to time I'll also add comments. And I invite comments from anyone out there. Comment on the readings, comment on the comments, comment on my comments. Fly at it!

Monday, December 26, 2005

Writer fined for 'Turkish insult'

BBC NEWS has a report on Turkish writer Zulkuf Kisanak who was sentenced to five months in jail for "insulting" the Turkish nation with a book, Lost Villages, that described the forced evacuations of Kurdish villages. The sentence was later reduced to a fine. Kisanak maintains that he was merely reporting fact and is not guilty of breaking any law. About 60 Turkish writers are facing similar charges for alledgedly insulting their country. The BBC article has a sidebar with links to other stories about the prosecution of Turkish writers.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: