My Blog List

Here is a blog where I post links to things I've been reading on the web. From time to time I'll also add comments. And I invite comments from anyone out there. Comment on the readings, comment on the comments, comment on my comments. Fly at it!

Thursday, April 10, 2008

The left, the right, and the ugly

So, Silvio Berlusconi claims that right-wing female politicians are better looking than leftist female politicians. Opposition leaders accuse him of being sexist. Stupid and superannuated also spring to mind as appropriate adjectives.

Here in North America there seems to be a cadre of blondish, tough, right wing women who like to appear on tv news talk programs to bash feminists, support the war in Iraq, and generally show off how well a woman can do if she marries right (and rich). The odd down market individual such as Nancy Grace can also make the cut, as long as she is tough on something. And blonde.

I must confess that I find such right of center political dominatrices fascinating. I wouldn't vote for the people they support, but I do like the way they, like Berlusconi, reveal the appearance-driven, substance poor nature of most right wing ideologues.

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments: