My Blog List

Here is a blog where I post links to things I've been reading on the web. From time to time I'll also add comments. And I invite comments from anyone out there. Comment on the readings, comment on the comments, comment on my comments. Fly at it!

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Only in Canada, eh?

The May issue of Reason Magazine has an essay on the enforcement of human rights legislation in Canada which highlights the law's foolish attempt to enshrine “niceness” as a legal concept. Any publication that “is likely to expose a person or class of persons to hatred or contempt” is illegal.

In more than one film Indiana Jones mutters, “Nazis, I hate those guys.” Ban the film if a Nazi is offended? A jihadist blows up a Canadian soldier in Afghanistan? Ban any newspaper editorial that might make a jihadist's kid feel bad about mom or dad's career choices? This past hockey season the Canucks sucked. There, I said it. Their coach sucked worst of all. There, I said something that holds an identifiable person up to contempt. Sue me; throw me in jail. I'm not nice.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: