My Blog List

Here is a blog where I post links to things I've been reading on the web. From time to time I'll also add comments. And I invite comments from anyone out there. Comment on the readings, comment on the comments, comment on my comments. Fly at it!

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Redeeming Iran

Death threats against Shirin Ebadi, Iranian nobel laureate, have become so frequent that the president of Iran has ordered special protection for her and her family. Ebadi won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2003 for her defense of human rights and political freedom.

The Nobel Laureate says that those who would kill her do not hate her personally, they just hate her ideas. Of course, Iran's leaders despise everything she espouses. They would like to see her silenced, but they need to maintain the pretense that Iran is a country worthy of its most illustrious citizen. Her autobiography is titled “Iran Awakening: One Woman's Journey to Reclaim Her Life and Country” .


Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: