My Blog List

Here is a blog where I post links to things I've been reading on the web. From time to time I'll also add comments. And I invite comments from anyone out there. Comment on the readings, comment on the comments, comment on my comments. Fly at it!

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A tale of lost innocence

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Yemeni child bride gets divorce
An eight year old child ran away from her husband and took a taxi to a judge's office to demand a divorce. The judge granted an annulment, which gave her certain legal options which a divorce did not.

The story and all its details are appalling. The “husband” had used threats of violence against the child's father to get him to agree to the “marriage”. The ex-husband, a man in his twenties, said that the marriage had been consummated.

What incredible courage on the part of the victim! To run away and go before a judge, in a patriarchal country where women have far fewer rights than males. The saddest comment comes from an uncle who has taken the girl in: “She is looking forward to going back to primary school as soon as possible.”

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

No comments: